Day 99
>> Friday, April 9, 2010 –
random
I received the best gift in the mail the other day, a letter from my "sister" with Women for Women International. If you did not see the episode on Oprah last year let me tell you a little about them.
Women for Women is an organization where you donate a monthly $27 to help support another woman. The money goes to give her the education and training she needs to continue to support her family along with a portion of it to assist with basic needs. You can choose the country or you can do like I did and just request to be assigned to a country in great need. Since it was on Oprah they had a back up so I had to wait a few months to be assigned to my "sister". In October, I received a packet and a picture of Dorathy from Nigeria. She is a widow with 3 young children, 4, 2, 9 months (as of February). The thing I really love about this organization that is unlike others I have donated to is you get to know the person you are helping. They encourage letter writing and this was my first letter I received. She wrote it back in February but it takes some time for your letter to be translated. It was such a blessing to hear what Dorathy has to say. I already wrote her back and look forward to forming a friendship with her. Here is a quote from their website that better explains it:
"By sponsoring a woman you not only provide her with the financial assistance she needs to get back on her feet but also the hope and emotional support that are the keys to rebuilding her life after war."
Please take a minute to check out their website and think about sponsoring a woman. Women for Women International http://womenforwomen.org


What an awesome thing you are doing Courtney! And how nice is it to get to know her. And love the photo!
This is so sweet. Thanks for the information. What a great thing to be a part of.