How do you organize all your photos?

I am a bit over obsessed with organization (you should see the girls toy bins). I number each album (1,2,3,4 and so on) as well as giving them a few word title (emma playing with toys). This way all of my albums are in order by when they were taken and I have a little caption to see what is in each album. Right now, they are all on my hard drive, but with my recent switch to taking photos in RAW (for my workshop) I am storing them on my external hard drive. Lightroom is also amazing for organizing! When I edit my pictures I have a print version and a web version that I save. (dsc0002web.jeg or dsc0002print). However, again, now that I am using Lightroom, it will save my edited images in the same folder (and is so much easier to edit batch and batch save) so I will save them in a subfolder in the original folder titled "edit print" or "edit web". I have them by year as well. I'm actually thinking of instead of numbering them (1,2,3) just using today's date. Mmm...decisions :O) Hope this helps!! How do you organize your photos?? Anyone have any better ideas??

Ask me anything

Laurie  – (September 2, 2010 at 12:57 AM)  

I am a horrible organizer, I need to tag the photos in Bridge. I was thinking of getting LR at some point. Hmmm, Anyway, Mine looks something like this:

Year> Month> Named Folders (ex: Ben Playing in Driveway)> Date_Ben Playing in Driveway. When I edit, I save as: DAte_Ben Playing in Driveway_edit (stays as a PSD file), or _editweb saved as a jpeg, or _edit_s (for sharpened, which I also save as a jpeg. Not perfect, but I'm always tweaking.

Kristen  – (September 2, 2010 at 1:19 AM)  

I also add and "e" for edit to the end of the photo number or "p" for print or "w" for web. I store them my month and by year. If I am looking for a picture I can usually remember the time of year it was taken and often narrow it down by month. Doing it Year then Month it really reduces the number of folders . I also will sometimes add a folder in the month ie Birthday Party or Nova Scotia

Courtney  – (September 2, 2010 at 3:00 PM)  

Thanks ladies!! I like the idea of storing them not only by year but by month too. Why didn't I think of that!! Looks like I will be tweaking my system!! :O)

Anonymous –   – (September 3, 2010 at 9:01 AM)  

my folders are a mess. please help me out...so many pics are repeated in other folders..as if I didnt have time..

Post a Comment

Site Counter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP